What is the future for young academics? Conference and Campaign Launch – May 26
May 14, 2012 Leave a comment
What is the future for young academics? Conference and Campaign Launch
Where? SOAS (Central London)
When? May 26
Graduate teachers face unique pressures from Universities: Experience of teaching is invaluable for career progression, whilst institutions face a crisis in funding due to the coalition governments attack on education. This means that many institutions are increasingly relying on graduate teachers for the bulk of undergraduate class teaching, and feel able to offer terms and conditions that are unacceptable.
This conference aims to bring together graduate teachers from across the country to share experience, launch a network that can work with the UCU and NUS, and plan a campaign that can win.
Speakers & Sessions:
* Professor Les Back, Goldsmiths Sociology Department: The Importance of Social Research
* Haldane Society of Socialist Lawyers: Is your employer breaking the law? How to read a contract of employment
* Andrew McGettigan: Education Researcher. The Governments Plan for Higher Education
* Regi Pilling, UCU Anti-Casualisation Campaign: Getting the UCU onboard
* Dante Micheaux: NUS Post Graduate Research Offi cer: Getting the NUS onboard *Plenary: Where next for the campaign?
Supported by LSE SU, Goldsmiths SU, Goldsmiths UCU, London Region UCU, EAN, NCAFC