PROTEST WORKS – EAN Speaking tour alongside JEREMIE BEDARD-WIEN, Exec member of CLASSE, QUEBEC
September 24, 2012 Leave a comment
In conjunction with DTRTP , the Education Activist Network will doing a meetings tour in universities across the country with Jérémie Bédard-Wien, executive member of CLASSE in Québec where a mass student strike against fees increases defied a repressive emergency law 78 to win substantial victories.
Jeremie Bedard-Wien will be talking about how protest won out -alongside others including Alfie Meadows, student defendant from the protests against fees in Britain, Autumn 2010.
“UK students face tripling tuition fees, the closure of departments and the deportation of international students. In this difficult context, the struggle CLASSE led against tuition increases has been an inspiration for many. Scarcely social movements manage to become what has been dubbed a “maple spring”: however, our successes can be replicated. We stand in solidarity with progressive struggles in the UK and elsewhere. This tour aims to strengthen ties between our movements and discuss the best way we can move forward, together. Everywhere, students are rising against neoliberal reforms to higher education. Our response to these attacks must be global.”
Full speakers list and times to be confirmed soon.
- Wed 10th October – Goldsmiths College Ian Gulland Lecture Theatre, 5pm
- Thurs 11th October – Sussex University
- Friday 12th October – Kings College, Central London, The Strand Campus, 1pm
- Sunday 14th October – DtRtP National Conference at University of London Union
- Unite the Resistance Rally in Central London
- Tuesday 16th October – Oxford University,
- Wednesday 17th October – Essex University 5:30pm
- Thursday 18th October – Queen Mary’s, 1-2pm in Fogg LT
- Thursday 18th October – UEL University
- Friday 19th October – Sheffield University
- Friday 19th October – Manchester University